Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spell Check Application Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotusman

Technical User
Jul 6, 2001
US
I have someone who is using notes 5.0 and when trying to send a memo their spellchecker comes up but when trying to change a word the following error comes up:
"Spell Check: NOTES.EXE - Application Error" Then the message goes into saying after the RED X: The instruction at "0x16e842e7" referenced memory at "0x00657373". The memory could not written.

Any ideas?

I encountered the same problem on several workstations in my company, actually it could have various origins.

- wrong dictionary set in user preferences (the correct *.dic not present in Notes\Data folder). I've already seen it crashes Notes as you've experienced. Set to English (United States) as this one is for sure installed.

- a TEMP directory has to be set in your environment variables. You can check this from your Control Panel/System/Environment tab. Be sure that a folder has been defined as value for the variables TEMP & TMP (for ex c:\temp). Pls Note the user has to have read/write/delete permissions on that folder.

- in one case I've encountered a user whose ID file was something like corrupted (everything was working fine except the spell checking option). We had to generate a new ID for that user and that fixed the problem.

Hope that it could be of some help...

Pat

Actually,

I was able to resolve the problem because it was due to the user's signature had consecutive underscores. When removing the consecutive underscores from the preferences signature section the error went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back