Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speedtouch USB Modem line drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neily

Programmer
Jul 27, 2000
GB
I'm having trouble with my Speedtouch USB ADSL modem. Having just reinstalled WinXP SP1 because of this problem, as of today I'm having this problem again.

Basically, after varying amounts of time (can't tell you how long etc) the modem goes back to the initialise line stage, thus disconnecting me from the internet.

As this has just happened I'm uninstalling the apps that I've installed to see which one causes the problem. I've just uninstalled Acrobat Reader v6.01 (???) to see if its that. I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and had managed to resolve it?

I've updated to the latest drivers and been using them for ages without this problem which has only started happening over the last 3 weeks.

Thanks to all who offer any advice.

Neil

you might have a hardware setting turned on that turns the USB port off after a certain amount of time. do this START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > CLICK ON THE HARDWARE TAB > CLICK DEVICE MANAGER > PAGE DOWN TO THE UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS nest > expand the nest and right click the first USB ROOT HUB branch and select PROPERTIES > POWER MANAGEMENT TAB > then make sure that the ALLOW THIS COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER check box is clear. (DO THIS FOR EACH OF THE USB ROOT HUB'S ON YOUR SYSTEM) you might need to restart your machine, but then again it is microsoft, so who knows.
Justin

I tried the power management options and it didn't work. I suspected it wouldn't as I'd used the system before without this happening and I'd never changed these settings before.

I think its more a bug than an incorrect setting anyway. The fact that I'd been using the system fine for weeks and then it started happening again makes me think its a rougue program!!

Thanks though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back