Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speedstream 4200 on Windstream.net, no config 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jito463

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002
US
I've recently moved (as in Friday, 2/23) and I called beforehand to setup my DSL service to have ready when I moved in. My modem arrived Monday night, and I began setting things up. Internet works great. It's supposed to be 6Mbit, get closer to 5Mbit in speed tests, but that's not bad.

However, I need to open some ports, and it appears that the modem/router is so constricted that I can't configure anything on them. A picture is provided below, IP and some other personal information erased.

I found a firmware update on Sieman's page, but it turned out to be for BigPond, an Australian ISP. I found a hacked firmware, but was hesitant to try that for various (hopefully obvious) reasons. I saw a suggestion by AllTelTec (sp?) that suggested holding reset until the lights flashed several times, but wasn't sure if that was just for the 5x00 series or not.

But I did try it anyway, and it didn't do the job. Anyone have any suggestions, short of buying a new xDSL modem? I will go that route if I have to, but I'd like to make this work if possible. If I'd known how restrictive their modems were, I would have brought my old one and tried it out first.

Joesphcn I think you should program you 4200 bridge only mode, it will work a lot better. To program bridge only mode login to the 4200 192.168.254.254 user and password defaults are admin admin. click setups then click Wan interface, double click the top idem (mind is 0/35) then click next at the bottom of the page do this 2 times and you should see Bridge only mode at the top of the page, click bridge only then finish, "DO NOT REBOOT" now click DHCP for the right side menu and at the top of the page DHCP Server click the Disable button now reboot and you will have a bridge only modem.

Josephcn port forwarding should work, you say port 23 ? what are you trying to do FTP? default ftp is port 21. How are you trying to use VNC I use RealVNC and if you are using the VNC client it only uses 5900, you can us IE or I use firefox and use the java interface 5800 range. There you would open port 5800 and point it to your static ip of your box then put Ie to connect

I already tried switching to bridge mode as part of troubleshooting, thanks for suggestion though.

Problem with this particular DSL carrier was not being able to establish outbound PPTP or L2TP connections.

I finally got port forwarding working on mine...to an extent.
According to the 4200 docs, the modem is already in bridge mode.
allteltec - I tried following your instructions but I lost all internet access afterwards and had to restore default settings.
Anyway, I think my biggest problem was that while configuring things, I was testing it out by trying to access the server from a PC on the same network. While searching for a resolution, I ran across this quote:
"Many routers do not do loopback (LAN2LAN via WAN IP), so you may need to test it from the internet (or dialup from a box NOT connected to your LAN)."

Sure enough, I got the ol' laptop out and went in via dial-up and was able to access my linux box over the internet.
However, I cannot, for the life of me get VNC connected over the internet.
I can telnet to my linux box and I can ftp to my windows box (I downloaded GoldenFTP server. Pretty simple to use if you're looking for an ftp server for Windows).
But for some reason, VNC just doesn't work. I'll have to keep hammering away at that one.
Anyways, for anyone interested, Here's some screenshots of how I set it up.
For reference:
192.168.254.1 = Linksys Router
192.168.15.123 = Windows system
192.168.15.108 = Linux system

I configured the 4200 to forward your services to the Linksys router:

442135387_25d526c015.jpg

Then, configure the Linksys router to forward the ports to the appropriate systems (yes, that should be "TCP" for ftp and telnet, not "Both")

442135391_bec9113391.jpg

Notice I have VNC set up the same way that I have telnet and ftp but it's just not happening for me. Something else must be going on there. I've tried it by running VNC server on my windows system AND Linux and neither works.
At least I've got telnet working, though.

I just disabled telnet on Linux and started VNC on port 23 and I'm now able to connect to VNC over the internet.
There must be something about routing those higher port numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back