Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speedstream 4200 on Windstream.net, no config 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jito463

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002
US
I've recently moved (as in Friday, 2/23) and I called beforehand to setup my DSL service to have ready when I moved in. My modem arrived Monday night, and I began setting things up. Internet works great. It's supposed to be 6Mbit, get closer to 5Mbit in speed tests, but that's not bad.

However, I need to open some ports, and it appears that the modem/router is so constricted that I can't configure anything on them. A picture is provided below, IP and some other personal information erased.

I found a firmware update on Sieman's page, but it turned out to be for BigPond, an Australian ISP. I found a hacked firmware, but was hesitant to try that for various (hopefully obvious) reasons. I saw a suggestion by AllTelTec (sp?) that suggested holding reset until the lights flashed several times, but wasn't sure if that was just for the 5x00 series or not.

But I did try it anyway, and it didn't do the job. Anyone have any suggestions, short of buying a new xDSL modem? I will go that route if I have to, but I'd like to make this work if possible. If I'd known how restrictive their modems were, I would have brought my old one and tried it out first.

Go to this link and browse the PDF.
At the point you can get to it, choose Setup and Port Forwarding.

If it prompts you, try admin admin to get in.

If you need DDNS, you may need to browse for the crack to open the other features in the Router.

Oh, yeah, I guess it would help to include the link...

subscriber.communications.siemens.com/documents/4x00UG_English.pdf

That would work if this was the normal firmware. But since it's a modified firmware that's locked down (see the image in my first post for example), then it doesn't help me unfortunately. I know how to configure a reouter that lets me, the problem is that this one doesn't let me. I was hoping someone could point me to a firmware update that actually worked.

Alternatively (just thought of this after the fact, and I can't edit my post), if someone has an unlocked modem/router and can post the page link for the Bridge Mode setup, then I should be able to configure Bridge Mode that way. The options all appear to be there, but the main page is modified so it doesn't allow access to them.

I found another forum where someone posted the link used to access the modems profile wizard and it worked. So if someone could post the direct link to access the bridge mode, that should work in theory.

Sorry, I didn't fully read your post and I didn't realize that your firmware was that restricted.

Speedstream flashes firmware according to the IP's requirements, but you probably already knew that.

Well, I finally got through to the tech support line, and they suggested the same thing AllTelTec did. Hold the reset button until the lights flash (well, they said for 7-10 seconds). I think it may be working, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to try connecting to my machine from work later and see if it's actually in bridge mode.

Nope, no good. So back to my last thought. Anyone have access to an unlocked version of this modem/router that can paste the link used to access the Bridge Mode setup on it? Basically, I want to disable NAT on the modem, so it's just a modem and nothing more. Then I want to setup my own router to do NAT and DHCP. I'm assuming setting it to Bridge Mode will do that?

YES!

The NAT option didn't work (it reverted back to the main page), but I was able to configure port forwarding with this. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really didn't want to buy another modem that may or may not work.

I don't know where in the USA you are located, but I work for the ISP Windstream as a network tech. and here in PA. our 4200's are not locked down. I have only seen one 4200 that was and it had to be one that some body was programing with and re boxed and send it out as new. All the 4200's our sub's get are open. If yours was shiped from the save depo that ours comes from you got a bad 4200.

I'm in Nebraska. Just moved here (as per my first post), and have had no experience with Windstream so I had no idea how they usually configured their modem/routers. If that's the case, I may contact them and request a new one, but at least for now it's working. You can see what I mean by locked down from the image I linked to in the first post. That's literally all I get when I access the configuration page.

I just want to add something here.

As i can see, your problem about the configuration page not showing normally is because your browser is restricting to display javascript. I maybe wrong, but enabling it may solve this lockdown issue as you say.

*slaps forehead*

Well, Javascript is enabled, but I did test with Internet Exploder. Looks like that modems configuration page doesn't work as well with Opera as I thought.

*grumble*grumble*

Why can't people stop coding just for IE. *sigh*

Thanks for the comment. I was so caught up in assuming they locked down the modem, I forgot to check if a different browser would work.

Oh, that's just icing on the cake. If I mask my browser to appear as IE, then the configuration page works without a hitch in Opera. One of these days, people will learn to check their work with something OTHER than the most insecure browser in the world. Thanks for the comments, guys.

That is the only think I use IE for Updates and working on Routers, I have found so routers will not display pages when I use Firefox. I problem is even biger some times only one ver. of IE will work. I use to have to use IE 5.5, 6 work not work on one of my work sites.

One option with this modem is to setup user sign in on your router, (if you have one, like the wpn824 from netgear), and this will automatically turn the modem into bridge mode after a couple of reboots of both devices.

The main annoyance I have with this modem is that it doesn't allow me to use encryption for PPTP or L2TP VPNs. Absolutely cannot VPN out of my client's office with whatever configuration. My DSL company says call this phone number for speedstream which has a message saying check the website.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have the same modem on Windstream and I haven't been able to get port forwarding working at all.
I've disabled the firewall on the modem, forwarded port 23 to my Linux box, as well as 5901 for VNC but I just cannot connect to my server from the internet.
I've verified my IP address via the IP that shows on the modem's admin page as well as from (they match).
So, Jito463 - are you now able to connect to your server? This is driving me nuts.

I figured out the problem with my vpn over DSL and which may be the problem with others issues. I read that sometimes DSL companies will share one ip address to multiple customers so that you will have in effect a NAT in front of a NAT on your router. Or this sharing mechanism will at least cut off some of the protocols that aren't as easy to share. Of course when I called the DSL company to verify this they hung up on me when I asked for level 2. I also verified DSL was source of my issues by trying out an actiontec dsl modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back