Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

speeding system performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcquest

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
For example: I go to control panel, display, and then click on screen saver tab. Takes at approximately 2-3 minutes to show screen saver screen. Also, when trying to open program by clicking on icon, program opens slow and mouse moves slowly until program completely opens. The mouse jumps from one spot to the next.

I check my system resources before opening programs and it is always between 85 - 88%.

I have done the following: increased ram from 128 to 256; ran norton utilities 2002 for windoctor, optimization, and speed disk. Also downloaded free programs to speed pc by removing invalid registry entries, duplicated files and ram boost. I have unchecked processes, that I'm aware of, from running in background through msconfig.

I have a Dell xps 450, win98 OS. I also updated win98 from microsoft site with critical updates.

Do you know of anything else I can do?

try reloading windows 98.. it gets so bogged down over time that no matter what ram and processor you have in it, it will act like a 486.
save your important stuff to a cd or 2nd hard drive and format. the performance difference is usually huge.

Hard disk size? Free space? Checked for viruses? How does it run in SAFE MODE? Possible wrong driver installed for one of your peripherals?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

There are lots of things you can do, but I would first check out the FAQ section for Win98 on things to try:

RAM is not going to directly impact the system free resource percentage. Your mouse jumping around may be due to other things unrelated to system resources. Have you tried a different mouse? Have you tried a different driver?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to jump out to Dell's website for any downloadable patches including BIOS updates. You never know what you'll find out there. If all else fails, backup data, format the drive, and reload Win98 patching it up at the Windows Update site. Then reload critical apps needed on the system and see if the problem continues to occur.

Good Luck! [thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

In addition to all that others have mentioned, I would also consider running software that can remove spyware and adware from your PC. I like Spybot Search & Destroy. You can goto downloads.com and do a search for spybot. Best of all, it's free!

I do not recommend downloaded junk off the Internet, unless you know it works. Once the junk from the Internet messes up your system it is time to reload Win98.

This is what you are saying:
I have a Dell xps 450, win98 OS.

My recommendation is if you want to go faster buy a faster computer. It is a waste of time trying to get old junkers to run faster. After you have gotten 2-3 good years of use out of an older system it is time to have a ceremony and bury it in the back yard like you would do for a Gold Fish!

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I agree. Try reinsatlling Windows 98.

Also, those internet programs usually cause problems themselves unless you use a 'one-time' program (eg. one that scans registry and deletes not-needed items, then you can delete the utility)

Another thing, try disabling your anti-virus program. That may be slowing your PC down also.

The hardware may be considered obsolete, but should run much better than this, so spending money just to solve this problem is not an optimal solution.

Check HD with Scandisk and Defrag, make sure there's lots of swap space, then check Registry for hidden software. Disable Windows Messenger Services if you don't need a home network of multiple PCs. Reboot, then see how it goes. If no better, back up data and blank the hard drive and reinstall software. This is a few hours' work, but free.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

pcquest

The sounds of that mouse almost sounds to me like a serial mouse having a bit of IRQ contention either in the system or perhaps in the BIOS?

I would right click my computer, go to devite manager, adn on the stop section (computer I think its called), hit properties and look for devices sharing IRQ's.

If you see dupilate entries of IRQ's, try and either resolved manually or perhaps making sure ACPI is turned on and reinstall the device.

Good luck!

I had a similar problem with windows 98se, It turned out to be the IDE driver was the wrong one. It screwed everything up. Try removing the present drivers and going with the default win98 ones. Also check to see if the system is configured for optimal performance....
Right click on MY COMPUTER, pick Properties, then click on the performance tab. At the bottom it should say "This machine is configured for optimal performance."

Scandisk and Defrag can really help a win98 system to run faster. Also you might try getting all the OS Updates for Win98SE from Microsoft.

One other thing. When you download stuff sometimes you get free Spyware that uses up your system's resources. There are some anti-spyware programs out there. I like to have all the IM and chat software off when I boot up my computer. They are a pain and make the OS load very slowly. They are a pain if you have to keep rebooting windows to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back