Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed Test Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonalds

MIS
Jan 9, 2004
US
I've been using the following web site for determining my bandwidth from various locations:

Why is it that I show 3.1 Megabits per second from home over my cable modem, but from work I only get 1.4 Megabits per second from behind a T1 line? Is it simply the amount of traffic filling up the pipe or is cable have more throughput than a T1 line?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Cable can have much more bandwidth than a T-1 line. T-1's operate at 1,544,000 bps.

-Don

Why and when will businesses move to that transmission media?

T-1's can be installed just about anywhere. Cable modems are available where the cable companies run the service. Which is typically near large concentrations of residential populations.

I have seen businesses with cable modem internet access, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

-Don

Dont forget, it also matters on your ISP. If your ISP is has the big pipes and aquidate network, then the speeds will be good. Cable can be faster, T1 is 1.544 and that it. Add another T1 or 2.

How do you combine two T1 lines so that you are getting 1.5 x 2 the bandwidth? We currently have two buildings which are connected by two (point to point) T1 lines, however, we are running an internet service T1 from one of the buildings which is ultimately shared between both buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back