Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed of menus in the Start Menu 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGroom

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

Is there any way to speed up the appearance of pop-out menus from the Start menu? I've turned off the Fade-In effect but I'd still like menus to appear instantly as I float up and down the list, rather than having to wait.

It's not an option in TweakUI. Any help?

- Andy.

Try this(From Winguides):

Windows normally delays menus before they are displayed. For regular users this delay can become annoying, with this setting you to change the delay time or remove it altogether.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new string value, or modify the existing value, named 'MenuShowDelay' and set it to equal the delay you would like before the menus are shown as a time in milliseconds.

Log off or restart Windows for the change to take effect.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
Value Name: MenuShowDelay
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: 0-999 (milliseconds)

-God Bless

have you by any chance got Mcafee virus scan 4.5 installed ?
this has a known issue with XP....it slows up start menu access amongst other things

enjoy

If you find a solution, I'd love to hear it. I have an IBM T30 Thinkpad which is quick hardware, yet I sit and wait for what seems like an eternity for menus to pop-up or down. I run Win2000 Pro on all other machines and never seem to have this problem. Is this inherrent in XP Pro? The bells and whistles in XP just aren't worth the sacrifice in speed, IMHO.

you could of course always try...right click my computer..properties..on the advanced tab..push performance settings, and select adjust for best performance...

the result is the menus appear much quicker etc but it, does apply a rather dated looking win98 GUI

oh well

:O{

phil

Thanks,

The Registry setting was the one that I was after, it works a treat, I now have menus on acid :)

- Andy.

A combination of Dashey and Jesuspower's suggestions made a tremendous difference and the gui is fine with me. XP stuff is just a little "too cute".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back