Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speech Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN101

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
US
Hey do any of you have a link to a site of speech recognition scripts. I want to increasse my collection, they are so cool.

Also can you either tell me how to make my own or show me a tutorial on how to.

Thanks.

For the first week after I got the speech recognition up and running, my kids were leaning into my computer and shouting "Tell me a joke".

The scripts for voice recognition can be opened in Script editor (Applescript -- you may have to learn a bit about it to get it to work well). You can copy the contents, paste it into a new script and monkey around with the lines to see how it all works. After you get the hang of it, try writing your own scripts from scratch.

Once you have that down a little, assuming you still want to go on, try opening scripts that may be around for other applications; some can be found on line in various places. Quark has a LOT available, and so does Appleworks/ClarisWorks, TexEdit and Eudora. Those are not going to be voice recognition scripts right off the bat, but might be triggered if you put them in the speakable items folder. You should rename them to the command you want to use to trigger them.

And, if you're like me and talk all the time to yourself while working, or play the radio, you may want to enable the speaking item preference that requires you say "Computer: " before issuing an instruction! (I'm not using Speech Recognition now, since I found that with a lot of scripts, it would sometimes open a similar one to the one I asked for. Good idea, with a lot of potential, but not quite dependable enough for me to use it in my day-to-day work, and fascinating as it is, I didn't want to take the time to fine-tune it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back