Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specification of Citrix XP server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joearmitage

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2001
GB
Hi, hope somebody can help. We are soon to install Citrix Metaframe XP with W2K on a new server, for approx 20 users. Can you please advise what the spec of the server should be?
Thanks
Joe

You'll get this from everyone - but it depends - mainly on which applications you'll be serving out.

At a bare minumum I would say get a dual processor server with 2Gb RAM Minimum and a pair of hard disks to mirror.

If you know that you are going to be installing an application that isn't Microsoft Office, then increase the RAM accordingly.

However, the most important thing to do first is establish exactly what applications the server is expected to serve, and get a baseline for how much RAM/CPU (etc) they are likely to use. This can be done on any server using perfmon.

I hope this helps

Thanks very much for your help - most useful.

Joe

If you post the hardware you had in mind, the advise can be better specified. Most of us have "been there, done that, seen it, have the t-shirt" and know the do's and dont's of hardware. Very important, to prevent misinvestments.

Free citrixprinting support

I was thinking of something like a Dell Poweredge 2600, 2GB RAM, twin 2.4GB Intel Xeon processor, RAID - probably about 20 users.
Joe

Make sure the RAID controller you get has Write Back Cache capabilities. I don't remember the specific controller you need to order, but I think the default controller for the 2600 is a little weak.

Actually, if it is the PERC3 Di it has 128MB with cache and two channels, so that should be sufficient. If your company is like mine, I would recommend you order 4 disks (even though you may only use the 2). You may see some performance increases in using a seperate mirror and channel for your swap file. It is always easier to order too much and beg forgiveness than order too little and have to ask for more.

Thanks guys - I now have some good info, so will take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back