Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specific Auto Client Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2000
GB
Hello all.

Is there a way to update a certain group of users using the Auto client update utility? I have a group of users who I usually roll out any new clients to first to test reliablility before all other users receive it.

Also, can the server be configured to check the Citrix website for new clients and automatically download them?

Any help greatly appreciated.

The client update utility is an "all or nothing" proposition. While there can be multiple client versions in the database, only 1 is marked "active" and will be used by all clients attaching to the server. - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Voyager1 is right, but you could force those users to log into a particular server that is configured to auto-update, and deny access to other users to that particular server; just until your test users have updated.

The auto-update feature is not a feature of MetaFrame. *yet*

Hope this helps

Bill,

What about if I created a new database and gave only the "Test users" group read access to the client database and set it up for transparent installation?

Would the non-test users get an eror message or would the update just quietly fail and add an entry to the log?

Ian

Actually, I like CitrixEngineer's solution better. Add the new client to the database on only one server, and have those specific clients force to that server. After they have the new client, re-enable your existing client for other users.

Kind of "kluged" but should work.

I'm actually not sure how the system would react to changing the permissions on the database. If you have a lab, might be worth a try...

Let us know... :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back