Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specialix port configiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have 24 Specialix serial ports but I can't get any terminal connecting thru it. I have enabled all ports in scoadmin but no answer. What do I have to configure more to get connection between terminal?

If a port is enabled, then you should get something on the wkstns, if the baud rate on wkstn matches port speed. Otherwise, if cabling is checked out, then check your rs232 pinouts. If the panel is modular, you're probably not pinned out correctly. If the panel is dsub, then get a molded cable along with a null modem adapter, and try it with/without null adptr to ck for a login. Remember some terminals have to be configured for DTE/DCE via internal menu options.

Which type of Specialix product are you using? The 2 most popular are the RIO and SI. Both of these products come with configuration software for SCO systems. The command to start the software for the RIO is "config.rio" and the SI is "config.si" Both of these programs allow you to set the baud rate, flow control (handshaking),and Charateristics for each port. Once you have executed this software it will update the termcap, printcap, and inittab files.

The basic cable cofiguration for these adapters using DB25 connectors is:
Specialix Device(terminal printer etc...)
Pin Pin
2 3
3 2
7 7
This is the standard configuration for XON/XOFF handshaking.

I don't recall the pin out configuration for the RJ45 modular plug adaptors. It is on the Perle/Specialix web site.

Your terminal's communications setting must also match what ever you set for the ports on the Specialix system.

Thanks;
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back