Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special fan - 115VAC 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoobz

Technical User
Nov 12, 2009
US
I'm looking for a special 120mm axial 115VAC fan that has high amps and pressure ratings for an experiment of mine. So far, all I've found is high amp and pressure 12VDC fans. I'm wondering why I can't find the same in a 115VAC fan? Any good sources out there? Thanks

kjb,
depends on what you call a computer. There are some that would still need high volume air or other cooling.

BBB,
My first touch was an IBM 1401 and writing "penny a day" in machine language to get the full program on a single card. Smallest 1401 had 1.4K of memory IIRC and was the size of 2 large refrigerators back to back. The "PAD" machine was 16K (4 refrigerators)with 2 30/30 disk drives the size of washing machines. This was 1962. There were older ones still floating around but I didn't get closer that looking at them. The printers were something else, impact at 1100 LPM at 132 characters. Would make you deaf.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

==>...size of 2 large refrigerators back to back... (4 refrigerators)....

All I've got to say is I am just so stinking happy we aren't still dealing with computers like THAT! I couldn't imagine "swapping out" a hard drive in a system like that. [shock]

Sounds like you'd need to have a "spare" forklift to manage that sort of equipment... though I WILL say that driving forklifts are fun, so driving/working that wouldn't be the problem - getting one, and storing it would be the problem (for me). [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Burnham Van Lines took care of the moving. Although the drives were the size of washing machines they were not that heavy. There were no drive swaps except for really major issues. Head swaps and platter swaps were common. IIRC the heads were about 1" by 1" with a bevel on the lift side.
I ended up with a drive cabinet. I mounted a table saw on it.
I haven't been in a major data center for a while. Know there are still big ones being produced, Jaguar at Oak Ridge, for instance, but don't know the physical size.

Ed Fair

Oh, do you know the muffin fan,

The muffin fan, the muffin fan,

Oh, do you know the muffin fan,

That lives on Drury Lane?

Oh, yes, I know the muffin fan,

The muffin fan , the muffin fan,

Oh, yes, I know the muffin fan,

That lives on Drury Lane.

I honestly do not know what the high schools teach today.

The power in watts is I X V

or current times voltage

example a fan uses 5 amps at 5 volts that's 5 X 5 or 25 Watt
example 110 volts at .23 amps that's 25.3 watts

The amperage or the current by itself means nothing at all, it has to be a combination of both.
Go back to school.
Best regards

Jurgen

I guess info on squirrel cage fans would be out of the question...

What do you want to know about squirrels? Limited knowledge but willing to share.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back