Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

special characters in windows quark 6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjaj

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
GB
I'm trying to insert a number of characters from several eastern european languages into a quark 6.1 document running under windows XP.
For example the hungarian o with a double acute accent, decimal code 337 = ? <=copied from charmap.exe, should be visible in most browsers.
I've tried all the following
1) Cut and paste document from Word, characters come out as ?
2) Cut and paste character from other documents or web pages, character comes out as o"
3) Quark's help says use </#337> but that just inserts those 7 characters into the page.
4) Copy and paste character from charmap.exe (as above) gives same ?
5) Fn + Alt +337 (on mumeric pad) gives an upper case Q.

Now my Gill Sans (preferred font) does not have this character in it, but Ariel does. Switching to Ariel does not help, the results are the same.

If you set the text in a word or similar document and use the code from line 3 of your post, save the document as ascii text with the .txt extension - use get text into quark and the xpress tags xtension will convert the special characters. Quark uses ascii numbers to associate special characters.

Sorry dmacster, but that does not seem to work either.
There was an error in my post, the slash was the wrong way reound, it should have been <\#337>.
I created a txt file using notepad that contained

<\#337>

<\#210>

The latter being a double quote, cut and pasted from quark's own help.
File>Get Text>select txt file
The result was exactly the same as line 3, the 7 character ascii strings get incorporated into the file, both of the 7 character strings get incorporated into the text, just as displayed above.

I've got all Xtensions enabled according to Xtension Manager. Including Xpress tags filter.

Oops, just noticed your numbers - ascii (and extended ascii) only runs from 0 - 255. Check google for ascii chart, then try again.

I don't think that it will work the way I want it to without buying an extended Gill Sans font - Gill Sans CE. This one has the additional characters in it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Actually it's a nightmare. It would appear that the problem lies mainly in QuarkXpress 6.1 itself. It cannot always handle Unicode fonts correctly.
I purchased Gill Sans CE and Gill Sans CE Light which do have the characters I want in them, according to programs such as PopChar, charmap and Word 2003.
The only versions available are Postscript.
However when I try entering character Alt+ 0245 (Hungarian o with a double acute accent) I just get either a ? or a dot, Quark's way of saying it does not understand that character. The two characters either side Alt+0244 and Alt+0246 come out as expected.
All other possible ways of entering the character into the text fail in similar ways.

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to Quark 7 (which has better Unicode support) as our printers are using 6.1 which does not seem to be compatible even with 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back