Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special backup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titann

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2006
ZA
Hi My manager has just requested that i need to do a backup of one of my regular backups and keep the data forever

We have a standard browse and retention policy of 1 month on most clients. now i just to do a once off backup of this. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance
Titann

Hello,

using nsrmm -e "12/31/2099" -S your_ssid may be a good solution...
Try to isolate your save on a tape containing only data you want to keep.

Put the tape in 'read-only', eject it and give it to your manager may be another solution, too...

thanks a mil, will do that

With the current NW version you may also clone the save sets to a new pool with a special (usually longer) retention policy assigned. I think this has been implemented in NW 7.4.0.

Also consider how you will restore the data in the future, drive technology will change along with tape technology. You may need to keep cloning it to new technologies and checking it's integrity. If you can't restore it, it's pointless keeping it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back