Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speaker Volume Doesn't Work 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcloud

Technical User
Apr 11, 2005
US
I have a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 surround speakers, but for some reason when I adjust the volume knob on the main speaker it doesn't do anything. The only thing that adjusts the volume is the slider in Volume Controls. I have the speakers plugged into my C-Media sound card. I would like to know how to make it so I can control the volume using the Logitech speakers volume control.

Thanks.

- dc

dcloud,
Put the slider in Volume Controls to the max volume position and then leave it there. This will allow you to use the volume control knob on the speaker to control the volume level. You might want to max out any of the other audio devices volume levels as well. ie: wave,cd-rom,line,aux..etc...etc...

The slider in Volume Controls is already at max volume. It has always been like that (I never messed with it). Yet I still cannot adjust the volume with the knob on the main Logitech speaker.

Sorry...I misunderstood you.
Are you getting any sound?

Sorry. It must sound confusing (no pun intended, lol). Yes, I get great 5.1 surround sound. The problem is I'm listening to music or whatever, but I cannot adjust the volume using the main speaker volume control knob (it's on the main speaker of the Logitech set). Obviously to listen to music I must use a music player and since I can't stand Windows Media Player I use Winamp. I can only control the volume using the volume slider on Winamp (or in the Volume Control settings).

What I want to do is be able to control the volume using the knob on my Logitech surround speakers. I was able to a while ago when I first got them, but I don't know what happened to change it.

Doesn't sound to me like that knob would be software controlled in any way. Possibly the knob - or rather the rheostat behind the knob has failed in some way? Or maybe the knob is no longer turning the spindle? To be sure I would double check all cables and connections involved. I would also contact logitech support via their web site. They are pretty good at getting back to you.

I hope its still under guarantee - you made need a replacement.

I know it's just a Windows setting somewhere. The cables and the speakers are fine, nothing wrong there. It's just a volume knob used to turn the volume up or down. It worked fine when I first got it then I installed the old sound card and Winamp and something changed somewhere and the volume is no longer controlled by the speaker knob. Hopefully someone will know what to do.

Ditto studuc's post.

Windows has no setting to circumvent the hardware volume rheostat on the speaker set. As you know the rehostat should adjust the overall volume and if it is not, this is where your problem lies.

These sets normally are wired through the amplifier in the speaker enclosure (most times in the sub-woofer). Double check that you have them connected as logitech recommends.

If no joy, contact them.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Ah ok, I just figured something out. After reading your posts I unplugged my headset from the main speaker and turned the volume knob and it worked. Duhhhh, sorry about that. lol. The headset plug must overide the regular volume control or something. Too bad because I always listen to music with the headphones. Bummer.

Now that's the first time you have mentioned a headset. LOL
It seems a bit odd to me that the headset jack should disconnect the volume control though.

You could look to get yourself a set of headphones with their own volume control built in?

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I just didn't think of the headphones when turning the volume knob, but then your post and rvnguy's made me think, "Now why isn't the volume knob working? The speakers work great. No Problems. So if it isn't a Windows setting..."

Then I unplugged the headphones and turned the knob in frustration and the volume went up and down. I was like, what the heck? That's when I realized that when I plugged the headphones into the jack on the main speaker it was cancelling the volume control, for some odd reason.

I might have to get a set with their own volume control, but for now I can just adjust the volume using Winamps volume slider.

Again, my apologies guys.

No problem.

I use a logitech wireless keyboard with a built in volume control knob that adjusts the windows volume slider when rotated. That may be another solution you could consider.

stduc, you're the best. I have a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard nad I quick pulled out the IntelliType CD that I had stored away and installed the software. Now I can use the volume control on my keyboard to adjust the volume when my headphones are on. I can even mute it. I never would have thought of that if you had not mentioned it. Thanks. :)

WOW!!! Headphones??? Thought we were working on 5.1 speakers not responding.....

Glad you got it nailed and did not have to RMA or replace any hardware.

Thanks for posting back with the solution as this might assist another in the community.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I was speaking about 5.1 surround speakers not responding, but like I already said to stduc I didn't realize the headphones were the culprit until I unplugged them. These Logitech X-530 speakers are awesome for the price, but one thing I did discover about them. When I first got them I could not get the headphones to work. For some reason the plug would sit in the outlet loosely and I couldn't get any sound. Then one day I shoved the plug into the speaker a little harder and heard a "snap" and viola! It would have been helpful if Logitech had mentioned somewhere that you needed to push the headphone plug into the jack until it seated (snapped) into place.

Also, I've discovered something else that's rather odd. After installing the software so the buttons on my media keyboard would operate I cannot "see" Winamp anymore. When I open the program I can see it down in the taskbar, but the program itself does not appear. This happens if I open it using the keyboard or by clicking on the actual program icon. I have to right click the Winamp tab on the taskbar in order to access the menu commands.

Any ideas what this might be?

Another thing, if I right-click the Winamp tab in the taskbar the "Restore" option is greyed out.

*bump*

I uninstalled the software for my keyboard and Winamp still does not appear. Just the tab down on the taskbar is all I can see. If I click Minimize, then I can click Restore, but that still does not make the program appear.

Argh, now what?

Try un-unstalling Winamp, then install the keyboard software, then re-install winamp. See if that works.

Ok, I figured it out. I had to right-click on the tab in the taskbar, go to Winamp, then highlight Main Window. That's really odd. I wonder why that stopped working when I installed the keyboard software? Maybe the keyboard software overrode something in Winamp. Man, if it isn't one thing its another, lol.

So now the test comes from installing the software again and seeing if I can make the Main Window appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back