Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sparse Files on Groupwise server

Status
Not open for further replies.

clytwyn

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2002
CA
I have a netware 5.1 with groupwise 5.5 sp5. Recently I ran out of room on the hard drives, so I added another array. And decided to move my largest Post office folder over to the new array. My current array is only 30GB, yet when I moved the PO folder off of the old array onto the new array it was filling up the new array (140GB) quickly. Reason being was that I had these sparse files that were as big as 4 GB, in total the folder said it was 611GB which doesn't make sense as the array is only 30GB. I've found some documents on the web that say to just delete the sparse files, or restore from an older backup. My older backups have these large sparse files and I wasn't comfortable just deleting the files. Any suggestions

How are you moving it? Is the configuration of the new array the same as the existing configuration?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I'm using xcopy to move the files. The two array's are raid 5, original array is a 36G, second array is a 140GB

Try using NetWare Copy thru Windows or NCOPY.EXE from a DOS box. NCOPY may give you better results as it is the NetWare copy utility whereas XCOPY probably works in a different way

"It's true, its damn true!"

xcopy doesnt take trustees
admittedly though a groupwise system should have no trustees
but a ncopy is a better method

Hey, about your sparse files.. I ran into a similar thing a while back where I had numerous 4GB files that added up to about 10 times what was actually available on the volume in the first place. Definitely didn't make sense. It didn't report space problems initially, only after I tried copying the volume to a new server.

I decided that the files were corrupt and just reporting incorrectly. I couldn't find a way to resolve it so I just deleted the files and didn't worry about it anymore. It's probably safe to do the same.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I haven't had a chance to do anything to them yet as I'm not in the office. I'll try the ncopy and if that doesn't work, I'll delete and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back