Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sparc 10 StandAlone Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksgt

MIS
Jul 10, 1999
US
I have an old Sparc10 station and wish to bring it up in standalone mode to do some filesystem maintenace. How/can I do this if I do not know the root password to the system?

One quick question...by standalone mode to you mean like single-user mode or the system management mode? If so, one option, if there is no prom password set or you know the prom password, is to boot to CDROM and escape to a shell. From the shell you can mount whichever filesystem you have /etc on to /a and then modify the /a/etc/passwd file. I guess to paraphrase your question, what you need is to aquire root permissions. If there is a prom password set and you don't know it and security-mode is set to command or full your best bet would be to call Sun. There are some more risky tricks that can be performed but I would suggest talking with Sun about options.<br>
<br>
I hope this helps...<br>
Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back