Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spanning Tree - Etherchannel

Status
Not open for further replies.

robrichardson

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
GB
Hi

I have an access switch which connected to the core via two etherchannels (2x1GB connections each). Spanning tree is working as expected and blocking one of the etherchannels however what I would like to do is if one of the interfaces in the active etherchannel was disconnected spanning tree would switch to the other etherchannel (i.e. the one with more bandwidth).

Is this possible????

I don't know anyway of doing this as the etherchannel is considered a single link spanning tree wise .

Appreciated however is there anyway you can tie in the bandwidth on the link (as this would change is part of the etherchannel was unavailable) into the cost of the link in spanningtree terms which would then be used in calculation??

hello

you need to setup HSRP between the switches using STANDBY on the CLI.

This will detect when one of the links drops and will switch all traffic over the other link.

it will take the same time as the spainning tree.

hope this help

let me know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back