Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPAN Session with Trunk Port-Channel and Encapsulation Replicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHM1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2000
FR
When I try to monitor a port-channel which is declared trunk and the encapsulation replicate option, i get only received frames and not transmitted ones;
If I omit the encapsulation replicate I get all the traffic (ingress and egress).
Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks

The commands used :
1 - On my C3750 Stack (version 12.1(19)EA1c)

monitor session 1 source interface port-channel 1
monitor session 1 destination interface g4/0/23 encapsulation replicate

2 - and a Gigabit NIC on the PC which permits to pass the VLAN Tag to the sniffer (Ethereal) : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx with the value "PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket=1" in the windows registry.

What i get :

I only get received frames (with the Vlan tag if it is not the default vlan)
I I omit the encapsulation replicate keywords i get all the traffic ingress and egress.

Guessing, would you need something similar to PreserveVlanInfoInTXPacket=1 (TX) also?

I don't think so because :
- in the NIC'doc i did'nt find such a value;
- the destination port (monitoring port) never switches frames received (except if an IDS would be connected in which case the parameter "ingress" permits to forward ingress traffic; but it's not my case)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back