Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPAN monitoring configuration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelH

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
NZ
Hi..

I have a SPAN (monitor session command) configuration with two source ports (both TX/RX traffic) and one destination port.. this configuration works fine.

However what i need to be able to do is have the destination port host be able to transmit on that destination port (in order to respond/intercept traffic the host will see from the source host).

The switch is Catalyst 4006 running Cisco IOS 12.1(11b)EW1 which after trawling through the configuration documentation does not appear to support this configuration..

Can anyone confirm this either way? Or point me towards a config which will support it..

thanks

joel

JoelH,

I am running Cat 5000 and 6000 series switches.
All are Catalyst OS, I have none running IOS.
For what it is worth, on the Catalyst OS, "inpkts enable" has to be part of the span session command string for the destination port to also listen.
Otherwise I will get the same problem you are having.

Ches

I have a 4006 w/supIII. Once you configure a destination port for a span session it can only accept traffic from the span session. It can no longer repond to any other traffic. I ran into this problem when we deployed these new switches, I dont know why it works like this but it does.

JoelH did you get this working? I need to do a similar thing on a 2950 switch and the new IOS on it doesn't allow the destination port to transmit either. I wondered what commands you used to work it, if you were able.

Thanks, Jpeanut

Unfortunately i came to the conclusion that you can not have a destination span port transmitting traffic.. so i ended up kludging something together with a hub for what i needed to do. Not pretty but it works.

cheers

joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back