Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spammers keep using my server (HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixx1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2006
US
I host sites and email via a root server from 1and1.com that is running Plesk Parallel 9.0.1 on Linux 2.6.23.16-20080211a. Spammers keep hacking my server and sending spam to everyone on my server and the world. My server is now blacklisted and does a poor job of blocking received spam. This has been a recurrent problem and 1and1 offers no support since it's an unmanaged server. Any tips and suggested software to add would be much appreciated it.

Plesk Mail Configuration:
authorization is required: SMTP

DomainKeys spam protection: Verify incoming mail

SPF spam protection: Only create Received
SPF local rules: include:spf.trusted-forwarder.org

Names for POP3/IMAP mail accounts: Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed

Thanks,
Paul

This is not an apache issue. There is a sendmail forum here at tek-tips that will be able to give you more specific help with mail server issues. That being said, your mail server is acting as an open relay. With no authenication, your smtp server can be spoofed. Look into smtp authentication. Once you have your server secured you will be able to get your server removed from the black list. They will, however, need to verify that your server is indeed secure and not relaying spam. It is not the end of the world but I would take care of this as soon as possible.

thanks...sorry for posting on the wrong forum...it's not an open relay...smtp authorization is required. I'll post in the dendmail forum..thanks again.

Actually I couldn't find a sendmail or qmail forum in tek tips....do you know if tek tips has a more appropriate forum and if so can you post a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back