Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam using my SMTP, fills drive with bad emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo85283

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
US
My Win2K webserver has SP3 and all the pre-SP4 patches, but my Event viewer gets filled with the following events:

"Message delivery to the remote domain 'yahoo.co.kr' failed for the following reason: the remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."

The remote domain changes, sometimes appearing like a legitimate domain, but the messages are identical.

Furthermore, my inetpub/mailroot/queue and inetpub/mailroot/badmail folders get filled with junk emails from anonymous or bogus senders, so it looks like my SMTP is being used by an outside source to send spam.

I installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Server Edition, but it found nothing on my server.

On the MS website, I found an old pre-SP3 article/patch (Q302755) that fixes a problem with SMTP authentication. I would think that because I have SP3 and all the pre-SP4 patches, this problem could not exist anymore, but when I checked the registry for the proof that this patch was installed, the registry key was missing. Hmmm. So I uninstalled all the hotfixes and SP3, then installed that Q302755 patch and verified in the registry that it installed OK, then I re-installed SP3 and all the pre-SP4 patches again and guess what?...the proof that Q302755 was installed is missing again from the registry. The spam is still coming, so now what can I do?

Ok, but in SMTP/Properties/Access what settings are you using? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Would you believe I haven't been there before? Now I feel really stupid. I found the checkbox that allows anonymous access--it was checked. (Can you tell someone else setup our internet stuff?) I'll monitor for a day or two and see if that helps. Thanks so much for the hint. --Tim

Best check ORDB.org and see if you're listed as an open relay. If so, you can resubmit your site so they'll remove you.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back