Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam Stopping using access.db

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad

Programmer
Apr 7, 1999
GB
We seem to have a problem ... access.db works well and stops anything coming in perfectly.
for instance we can perfectly well stop anything coming from yahoo.com and yahoo.co.uk.
however we know some specific people at yahoo.com and yahoo.co.uk that we would like to allow to email us.
our access file has in it:
<our local hosts> OK
123456@yahoo.co.uk OK
654321@yahoo.com OK
yahoo.co.uk REJECT
yahoo.com REJECT

this however does not allow 123456@yahoo.co.uk to be able to send any messages to us, they are always rejected.

any ideas on how to get it to work?
is this a feasible way to do it?

Jon

This is just a wild guess but did you try putting the individuals after the domain. Possibly sendmail reads the file from bottom up.

yahoo.co.uk REJECT
yahoo.com REJECT
123456@yahoo.co.uk OK
654321@yahoo.com OK

nope, tried it ... doesn't seem to work.

Jon

How about:

yahoo.co.uk <TAB> ERROR: &quot;550: Mail rejected...&quot;
123456@yahoo.co.uk <TAB> OK

nope ... changing REJECT to ERROR didn't help ...
also i do only use 1 tab in between the fields.

Jon

Hey Jad...did you ever figure this one out? I have figured out how to allow IP's to email past the filters that I have in place but I am not quite sure how to allow specific email addresses to bypass this as well. Hopefully this post isn't too old that it doesn't get read.

it gets read ... nope o never managed it, i had to install a spam filter ...

I am not staring at the cf/README file right now, but the delay_check feature/define should get you there. And maybe the blacklist feature (the one that lets you add TO:, FROM: and CONNECT: lines to access.db)

Try this out (with sendmail 8.10 or later):

Use &quot;OK&quot; to overrule other rules.

Order doesn't matter because normally you build a hashed db-file and entries are looked up via hashing, neither top-down nor bottom-up.

Tilli

did try it, but it didn't work ... i'm using 8.11 ...

maybe i tried it on a previous version, but i don't believe so ...

i have a spam checker in place nowadays anyway, it also checks for virii, and it's reasonably accurate.

Hi jad,

which checker is that? Is it open-source? What about performace? Thanks for some information.

Tilli

yes, it's opensource ...

the scanner uses SpamAssassin the scanner is
i chose this scanner because it is non intrusive ... i haven't changed my sendmail.cf at all.

we always queue our mail ... it comes in to /var/spool/mqueue, the mailscanner picks up the mail, scans it and either places it in the quarantine directory or in /var/spool/mqueue.out. the mail is then delivered from this directory '/lib/sendmail -q -oQ/var/spool/mqueue.out'

i have it done in 3 scripts ... the Mailscanner script, the fetchmail script (to fetch mail from pop3 servers ...) and the delivermail script (to keep a copy of all mail, and deliver it)

it reckons that it'll work with any virus checker ... we happen to use the one it has set up by default.

it is quick, except for virus checking attachments.

we currently run this lot on a P75 system with 48Mb ram ... if i ever get the head to say i can have another machine i'll swap it out :) ... all it does is email, and it doesn't have a problem really.

ho hum.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back