Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2447

MIS
Nov 5, 2002
US
Our company has increasingly bad problem with SPAM lately is there anything that we can do short of purchasing software to solve this problem. One employee recieved 20 junk messages in about 2 hours. We are using Exchange 2000 Server and Outlook 2002. The junk email feature in Outlook is about worthless.

that employee should be able create rules in outlook using the rules wizard

EG: any emails containing the word "fast cash now" automaticly moved to the "deleted items" folder"

or maybe a "possible spam" folder

whatever you choose.

that's the only way i can think of without purchasing additional spam software.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Have you tried filtering domains on your Exchange server?

I don't understand what you mean by "filtering domains"?

Go into Exchange System Manager and select Global Settings. Next right click on message delivery and select properties. The filter tab should be the third tab shown. You can then add domain names (i.e. @example.com). This will do a whole site filter so you may want to be careful of the address that you block. I put this filtering into place and the spam mail went down by over 75% once I had enough address in the filter.

"EG: any emails containing the word "fast cash now" automaticly moved to the "deleted items" folder"

For what little its worth, It is amazing what the spammers will do to get past those techniques. I use McAfee's Spam killer which after a month or so, stops better than 90%. I'm convinced what ever is done about spam will have to happen at the ISP level to be effective.

Hi... Does anyone have any suggestions as to which email filters are the best or have a high rate effectiveness. I see above Mcaffee 90% from wmccall.
But what about Symantec, surf control or trend micro?
any suggestions?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back