Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam/Junk from Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanxman

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
NZ
Today, 02:13 PM

Spam/Junk Form Output
Hi all,

Firstly, I apologise if this isn't the right place to post this - but I couldnt find anywhere else suitable!!

In the last 24 hours, we've got heaps (30+) spammy junky emails through which are coming as a result of the two forms we have on my website website (say
They look, amongst other things like the below (bottom of this query)... the fields are filled in with random non existant email addresses pertaining to my domain name.

Any idea what it is, what's causing it, and what I can do to stop it?!

The forms are pretty basic designs I figure - I'm just learning, and used downloadable perl script templates such as Formmail.

Any thoughts would be grately appreciated.

Many thanks
Rob

FORM EMAIL BELOW (including all the junk right down to the bottom, none of which is normally included)

Dear User,

Name : because1683@mywebsite.com
Primary : because1683@mywebsite.com
Comments : because1683@mywebsite.com
sign : because1683@mywebsite.com
submit : because1683@mywebsite.com
Time : he
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=d69a218930772c4b4721d
24af2fd2b4d
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: it didn t suit her entirely
bcc: tlcc00perfamily@aol.com

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--d69a218930772c4b4721d24af2fd2b4d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

took his hat, there was a low knock at the door. ilhelm opened it. ithout stood a poor old
--d69a218930772c4b4721d24af2fd2b4d--

Without seeing the actual HTML form and Perl script, it could be happening for a number of reasons, but if you're using Matt's Formmail script and are using hidden fields in your HTML form to list the address you want the mail sent to, then there's probably a bot out on the net that is just spamming you based on that e-mail address.

Also, there are security issues with Matt's Formmail script, so if you are able, I suggest you move to the NMSFormmail or an equivalent one found on one of the many script sites on the net.

- George

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. Thought it would be something along these lines. I do have the form emailing to two different email addresses, but neither of these recipient email addresses end in mydomain.

Is my only real option to convert the forms to say as u suggested NMSFormmail? Don't want to have to do too much work!!

thanks again
amx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back