Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam Filtering Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GallopingGhost

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
I am running Checkpoint Next Generation FP3, using Trend's Interscan virus scanning software in a cvp configuration. Both apps are running on different Netra t1s using Solaris 8. We are running Lotus Notes R5 as our email server, behind the firewall.

My question, Does anybody have a suggestion on using a spam filters? I tried the eManager from Trend, but it does not support cvp. Currently, I am using a rule that gets updated daily to drop email from spam servers. Its very tedious and I'd like to find a solution requiring less time.

I would install Trend Micro's Scan Mail v2.6 on your Notes box and configure it for Spam Filtering w/ Spam DB updates. This will allow you to utilize the Trend Spam filter without the problems of your two apps playing nice.

Hope this helps.

John Judge
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA, CNA, Network +, A+

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't thought about back reving on the Notes server.

Like the previous post indicates, you could add a postfix mail relay with Spamassassin between your FW(cvp) to the Lotus notes mail server. That way your Lotus box isn't involved with dealing with spamfilters and you won't see you Lotus box trying to return messages to the sender (like "Account unknown" etc type messages.)

Our setup is similar except that we don't have a CVP.

FW->AntiVirus scaner->Postfix(Spamassaasin)->MTA etc...

I would make the Postfix/Spamassasin box be a PIII 500MHz with 256 MB RAM and any version of Linux will do... (1000 messages/day)

To secure things a bit more, use Bastille Linux on that spamassassin box.
You may have to adjust the weight & limits that spamassassin will use but that's about it...

These link will show a link to a PDF file on how to configure a SpamAssassin/Anti virus MTA using Postfix, just skip the AV notes...

Hope that gets you started...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back