Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam control in Exchange 5.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpy355

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2003
CA
Hi I was wondering what spam control programs other people are using to control the spams coming into Exchange 5.5
Thanks

We've been using XWall since mid-July. We're totally happy with it.

One of the things I like is that we can block individual file attachments. For example, because of the nature of our business, we can't block all .zip files at the Exchange antivirus gateway, but we can block the individual .zip files that are related to the various virii out there at XWall. It has excellent tech support as well.

Cheers.

check out , they are very good!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

GFI is the best one I have tried.

Blocks keywords/phrase both in Body and Subject.
Whitelist and Blacklist for deleted ex-users and partner companies

Email Header checks for those free email accounts with 4+ digits in their email address. (i.e jane756756565@msn.com)

These are all I need to catch 90% of the spam. You do have to work on the keywords and phrases, to get those spams that have managed to bypass your filter. Just keep an eye on some of the most spammiest users and you'll see what get's passed.

So far, I cannot block single image spams due to the fact that users in my company often send single images just like spammers do. Those would be the 10% that I cannot block. And the occasional new spams with newly screw-up spellings.

My users are happy.

I would have to say X-wall. I have tried the rest but for the price of $349 you can't beat it. It does all the filtering and is constantly being updated. Blacklists, Whitelist, Bayes, Heuristic, Subject, Body, HTML, headers, Attachments, Invalid emails like iamspam@yourdomain.com, individual whitelisting, use of your antivirus software or F-prot for scanning incoming emails, blah blah blah.......

Dev

I incorporated spam filter at no additional cost thanks to the included feature of Symantec's Antiviurs Corporate which we already licensed. The antivirus for SMTP gateways includes a very effective spam filter. It allows filtering by subject content, known sender addresses, and most effective - DNS Blacklists. It has all the standard features of the popular 3rd pary spam filters. It will not give you message monitoring and some of the advanced reporting you can find with other products.

The drawback of the filter is the subject-only filtering. Body content is not examined. Most of our spam ends up being filtered by blacklists - there are several free lists you can use.

We use a product from Vamsoft.com called Open/Filter.

It is great!!!

for $99 you can put it on up to four Exchange servers and also had unlimited users. Gets about 97% of spam.

But, you have to run it on Exchange 2000 or use a W2K server as SMTP relay.

Brian

We use ASSP - - and LOVE it.

Easy to set up, uses Bayesian filtering, you can configure it to constantly update its own spam database... and best of all, it's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back