Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spam blocking and access.db

Status
Not open for further replies.

axslinger

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2000
US
I've been trying to get the sendmail spam blocking to work. But it lets everything through. First of all, what is the difference between the /etc/mail/access and ~/access.db?
I realize the access file is text and the db fils isn't. But thats about it.

I have the following in my ~/access file:
myname@yahoo.com REJECT

There are others but I put this one in as a test because its my own yahoo account. But it got through.

I use fetchmail to retrieve my email. Is it possible that fetchmail is getting in the way? I've also looked at boatloads of sendmail docs on the net but from what I can tell, everything is OK. Any ideas?

Brian

ok ...
Code:
makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

this will translate your access file into your access.db file.

this should then work ... by the way although the access.db is nice, it's not necessarily the best way to bar addresses (except to stop relaying)

Been there. Done that. Doesn't work.

Brian

thread14-335160

umm ... and no, i never got an answer :)

we now use a mail scanner program that stops spam after it has got in ...

Is the Procmail filter a better option? I liked the idea of doing it through sendmail because of the fact that it sends out an auto-reply. If the sender gets the impression that it's an ivalid address, they MAY remove your name from the list. Is there a simple way to auto-reply with the procmail filters?

Brian

look at spamassassin and incorporating it into sendmail ... that will work well, or should do for a good percentage of stuff and will give a 'bad user' message back.

Do you have this line in your M4 file?

FEATURE(access_db, hash -o /etc/mail/access)dnl

You have to configure sendmail so that the access_db is used.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back