Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam Assassin setups

Status
Not open for further replies.

furgussen

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
CA
Hello All,

I've tried setting up Spam Assassin on my qmail installation, and I can't get it to do what I want it to do.

Basically, I want each user to be able to turn on/off spam filtering, as well I want to log and bounce the spam that gets filtered.

The SA-Analyze scripts

will bounce spam, as well as log it, but they're meant for a system wide installation, not per user.

oSpam

is a per-user spam filtering setup. However, it doesn't log the spam, and just deletes the spam, rather than bouncing it back.

I can't find a way to combine the 2. I think in order for it to bounce, it has to run before qmail-queue otherwise there's no way for it to inject it into the queue to bounce. But that way there's no way to filter per-user.

Anyone have any success at this? Am I the only one trying to do this?

Tyler

Sorry. i didn't understand your problem (but this might be a fault of my poor english :) )

First, thank's for the links, i haven't had seen ospam. this has to be investigated...

i -on your side- really would *NOT* try to bounce spam. most sources of spam here are faked. so, in most cases, the bounces itself will bounce back, and have to be handled again. this forces traffic and machine resources.

i'm using spam-assassin this way:
in /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery
<snip>
| /usr/local/bin/spamc -f -s 20000 | /usr/local/bin/maildir ./Maildir/
</snip>

spamc is running under the user that is intended to get the mail. if the user's got a high enough skill, they are able to turn off / adjust the filtering as described in the man-pages of spamassassin.

as said above, i don't know ospam. but if you really decide to bounce the detected spam, i would add a small bash or perl script between the spamc and the maildir command in /var/qmail/defaultdelivery.

so, after a second thought, i wouldn't make use of the ospam package :)

The reason I want to bounce it back is to get removed from these mailing lists. When I was using Spam Assassin system wide and was bouncing mail back I reduced the amount of spam hitting the server to about 20 a day. Now that I'm not bouncing the spam, I've gotten over 2000 in the past 2 weeks. Plus the amount of double-bounces I got was very minimal and can easily be filtered out.

oSpam is the same type of idea that you are doing. Except that it can be integrated with oMail-Admin so the users can use a web interface to define their Spam Assassin settings and turn spam filtering on/off.

You mentioned adding a bash/perl script between spamc and the maildir command to bounce the email. Any idea how to do that? How do I tell qmail to bounce the message?

Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back