Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPAM A LOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrank

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
ES
Hi,

I recently took administration of a exchange server. The server is constantly attacked by spammers, my users and public folders receive constantly spam.

The server has already Symantec AVF For Exchange, it eliminate virus quite efficient, but it is deceiving the ability to fight spam, the maximum it can get is to delete the body and the attachment of a message that fall in a spam policy. I want a product that delete all of the mail that falls in spam policy automaticaly

Can anybody recomend me a good spam solution for exchange compatible with the AVF?

maybe mailmarshall,GFI or vamsoft ORF?

thanks in advance

I use a Barracuda Networks Spamfilter, which is a hardware appliance that sits in front of the Exchange server, to eliminate the bulk of our spam. I like it because it takes the load off the Exchange server...if the Barracuda classifies it as spam, I have it set to delete or even block it completely via blacklists. I also have a different threshhold setup to tag the mail and then forward it to a special mailbox so that if someone calls looking for something I can check that mailbox for it.

Highly recommend this device.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Hi Lander215,

I have read info about the Barracuda, it seems a very powerfull and reliable tool. I love the fact that it releases the server of the load of processing SPAM, but unfortunatly i don't think my company will spend the 5774 euros it cost, i was looking for a cheaper solutions.

Thanks for the recomendation, i think the barracuda it's the best solution but is also a expensive one.

Ddrrank

Have a look at GFI Mail essentials on GFI dot com

They price by number of mailboxes, it is quite user freindly and is mostly problem free once it has been "trained". Their tech support is really good too.

Search this forum for GFI for more info

Paul

Hey DrRank,

either way it will cost some $ depending on number of users.

If you use GFI then you have to dedicate a machine/server for it unless you run it on the same box as exchange (not recomended).
Other solution would be out sourcing ....and if you have a small number of users may not be bad idea.
My recomendations are:
-Barracuda
-GFI
-Postini (outsourced)

If your management is fighting the $ issue the present them with:
or
any other calcualtor
Bottom line, doing nothing about spam IS loosing money.

All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Hi,

Thanks paulha,lebisol,

well all is a matter of $, i i'll give a shot with the GFI running on a separate machine, i will prepare a budget plan for my boss with that

Dont worry about the separate machine, it rund fine on the same box as Exchange

If you have a lot of users can I suggest moving to Exchange 2003 which gives you the IMF which is a free MS solution for anti spam, is pretty darned good and then you can take advantage of all of the new features as well.

GFI Mail Essential on SMTP Relay

Work perfect.

Mauro

Italian are WORLD CHAMPION :)

We use a Ciphertrust 'Ironmail' here. It's fairly simple to the Barracuda I believe, top stuff.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I have a linux bastion host which does basic header filtering. Then mail goes to the Exchange 2003 server where IMF is running and Symantec Spam Heuristics is running as well...

the blacklists/headerchecks on Linux host gets over 35,000 a month.
IMF/SCL on Exchange 2003 blocks about 6,000 a month.

for a firm of 50 people.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

You're lucky...average for my Barracuda is about 50,000 per day...oddly though this past week or so it's dropped to about 28,000 per day..don't know why.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

yeah, I am certain I am not getting al of it, since we are showing about 150,000 connects a month. Filtering a total of about 40,000 means I still have 110,000 inbound messages a month. Just doesn't seem possible...

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

One word: Postini.

From what I've seen, this solution is just slightly more expensive than a Barracuda box, but there's no hardware to install or maintain, no software to install, maintain, and update, and it adds load balancing to your inbound email w/ mail servers around the country. Any Directory Harvest Attack attempts are rerouted to Postini's servers instead of yours. This should help free up your bandwidth.

Best of all, the system works, "out-of-the-box". Within hours of it going live, my users were thanking me for whatever i did to eliminate their spam.

From what I've tried and seen, Postini offers the lowest amount of work for IT and provides the highest amount of results meaning you look like a hero for doing very little work. Implementation also takes less than a day.

Anyways, I've been very impressed w/ it so far and would HIGHLY recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back