Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space problem loading GCC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpdavids

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2001
US
Can someone please help me with this thread. I need to load GCC compliler on my Sun Ultra 60 running running Solaris 8.
Listed below is the error I am getting when trying to load version gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.

------------------------------------------------------------
# pkgadd -d gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local

The following packages are available:
1 SMCgcc gcc
(sparc) 2.95.3

Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]: 1

Processing package instance <SMCgcc> from </export/home/wpdavids/gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local>

gcc
(sparc) 2.95.3
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/cc1obj&quot;, errno 28, No space lef
t on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/cc1plus&quot;, errno 28, No space le
ft on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/chillrt0.o&quot;, errno 28, No space
left on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/collect2&quot;, errno 28, No space l
eft on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/cpp0&quot;, errno 28, No space left
on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/f771&quot;, errno 28, No space left
on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/gmon.o&quot;, errno 28, No space lef
t on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/include/g2c.h&quot;, errno 28, No sp
ace left on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/include/objc/hash.h&quot;, errno 28,
No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write &quot;pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- process </usr/bin/cpio -icdumD -C 512> failed, exit code 36
pkgadd: ERROR: unable to unpack datastream

Installation of <SMCgcc> failed (internal error).
No changes were made to the system.
------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand the problem of &quot;No space left on device&quot;. Below I have listed a &quot;df -k&quot; of the disk space on the server. /usr/ has 280 meg free to install GCC into its locations.

# df -k
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 97927 42755 45380 49% /
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 466291 136152 283510 33% /usr
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 39967 11858 24113 33% /var
swap 347096 0 347096 0% /var/run
swap 347104 8 347096 1% /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 302683 44646 227769 17% /opt
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 7590885 315034 5%7199943 /export/home

Thanks,
wpdavids

where did you get this pkg from ?
post the output of: id;pwd;uname -a;ls -l your-pkg;file your-pkg

using pkgtrans (see man pages) translate the pkg
from datastream to a file system format
now you have access to it, see for files called
request pkginfo pkgmap
and analize them, DO NOT MAKE CHANGES, there are
a PSTAMP and a CHECKSUM, if you change 1 char the pkg
will never install!
OR
if you make changes, delete the CHECKSUM
look for a line containing 2 digits at the end of a file
in install subdir
(i have no pkg on my sys, i can't remember the filename, my be pkgmap)
simply delete this line.
now you are free to make every changes.
look for BASEDIR or INSTALLDIR vars. correct them if necessary.
to install a fs-pkg: pkgadd -d dir-containing-the-pkg pkg-name
good look!
-----------
when they don't ask you anymore, where they are come from, and they don't tell you anymore, where they go ... you'r getting older !

wpdavids,

All of the filesystems on that system are very small; SMCgcc is 60MB or so in size, so it may use up to twice that during installation.

It would clean up any temporary files after a failed attempt to install, which is why it looks like you still have space. Annihilannic.

Thanks to everyone. You gave me many hints to solving the problem with loading GCC on my Solaris server. The problem was related to space available in /var/tmp file system. What I did was to mount /var/tmp over /opt/tmp . This made plenty of room for the GCC package to load.

How do you mount /var/tmp over /opt/tmp ?
I mean, what commands did you use?

/var is filling up during the installation, as it also does during the load of patches. One of the few pitfalls of Solaris, but don't worry there is a way around this. Try this:

# cd /var
# ln -s /tmp tmp

If you have other questions please post or check the man page on ln. This allows you to utilize space in /tmp to help alleviate /var.

HTH,
-bp

Thanks Blaine, I managed to do it using the following commands:

#> cd /tmp (or where you put the program file)
#> gunzip program-1.00-local.gz
#> mkdir /tmp/spool (this can be any directory in a place with a lot of disk space)
#> pkgadd -s /tmp/spool -d program-1.00-local
#> cd /tmp/spool
#> pkgadd -d .

I tried your suggestion and it worked too!

Courtesy of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back