Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space character in Code 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIANVH

MIS
Oct 7, 2002
US
I am a barcode novice trying to get a code 39 font to work in an Access Report. Everything seems to be working OK, except I can't read any barcode that contains a space character (there is a blank gap in the printed barcode). The report pulls from a large existing database that contains space characters in many data items. Is there any code 39 type font that solves this problem, or perhaps some way to modify the raw data in the the Access query?

Windows will not let anyone create a character in the blank space area.
So I substituted a Code 39 barcode space for an underscore.
You need a function that will change all the spaces to an underscore for the barcode.
This does not affect the regular data in anyway.
The barcode when scanned will show a space.
The underscore character in our font is a code39 space.
Does that make any sense?

Now this only works in our Barcode font. So you have to buy a new one.

DougP, MCP

Anyone know of a font you can buy that would work with a space character, or alternatively how I can use some type of formula in Access to convert the spaces in the raw data to another character?

DougP:
If you put in *999_99*
will this show up as 999 99 ?
If so I have tried this and hav not had it work!

In Morovia Code39 fonts you can use = to get the space. Having barcode pattern to spaces could bring many problems, and most of barcode font vendors choose other symbols in the place of space.

Our Code 39 font came with our software package. I have called the software's tech support and they tell me, "The standard code 3 of 9 font, as provided, does not allow for a space in a single barcode"

I'm confused becuase I thought a space was part of the Standard Code 39 Font

Could someone explain how this works? I have tried %A...%Z, $A...$Z and /A.../Z and still no spaces.

Thanks,

Hillary

Call the company you bought it from and ask then all are different.

DougP, MCP, A+

The original Code 39 character set consists of bar code symbols representing characters 0-9, A-Z, the space character and the following symbols: - , . , $ , / , + , %.

The Extended or Full ASCII extension to the original Code 39 uses a pair of characters to represent the other ASCII characters. For example an underscore is supported as $O. So CONN_ATT may be bar-coded as *CONN%OATT*, but this only works if the scanner is configured to accept Extended Code 39 bar codes.

Usually I have a problem where I don't properly delimit fields and so I get a bunch of leading spaces barcoded, which just adds unnecessary length to the barcode.

See for details and some links.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back