Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sp_repldropcolumn: Generates Error 4932

Status
Not open for further replies.

eichmat

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
Table currently replicated from SQL 2000 server to another (with the second also as the distributor).

Using sp_repldropcolumn to drop a column without needing to re-snapshot. When we make the call on the publisher, we get this error:

Server: Msg 4932, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN failed because '_column_' is currently replicated.

Any suggestions on cause and resolution?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Found the answer to my own problem: orphaned article

The sysarticles table had entries for an publication that no longer existed. Removing the orphaned entries allowed the drop-column SP to run fine (I have an idea of how the orphans got there and it was due to other issues we had earlier--just glad this was the development environment!).

It took, literally, walking through the sp_repldropcolumn SP to see that two entries were being returned from sysarticles and there was only one valid syspublications entry--as a result, subsequent calls to manage that column's replication status only functioned for the "valid" publication, leaving the orphaned entry make the ALTER TABLE command "think" that the table was still being replicated.

Guess I get my own points for this one! :)

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back