Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sp_attach_single_file_db error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncFair

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
Running MSSQL7 on a WIN2 Server

1.) Detached db using sp_detach_db
2.) renamed db log file.
3.) ran sp_attach_single_file_db to reattach db with 'fresh' transaction log.

error occurs stating that the execution has been cancelled because some of the tables could not be 'activated'

I've never seen this before and the MS Knowledgebase yields nothing; any ideas?

TIA,
Dunc

Does the message actually say "tables could not be 'activated'?" Or does it refer to files? Did the DB have multiple log files? If it did, you should not use sp_attach_single_file_db. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

No multiple logs - just one 7-plus gig log file.

You didn't reply to my first question! Does the message say tables or files could not be activated? Does the error message refer to a particular file? Are you certain that the MDF file name and location are correct? Can you post the code you are using? Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Sorry.

1.) I don't have the exact error - it was on a client's machine accessed through two layers of terminal server (although I believe it specified files).

2.) No particular file

3.) Positive location info is correct - especially since I used the same physical file location info when I resorted to using sp_attach_db.

sp_attach_single_file_db @dbname = 'GoldMine_Sales_and_Marketing',
@physname = 'd:\mssql7\data\GoldMine_Sales_and_Marketing_data.mdf'

I have the same ERROR!..
it says FILE could not be activated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back