Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sp3 or sp4 when using PartitionMagic8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmasterson

Technical User
May 26, 2004
US
Hi, I just joined TekTips. I am thinking of using PartitionMagic 8.0 to manage my harddrives so that I can install linux on the same drives that i have win2k on. (Why ... I really don't know yet, but mainly just to start learning and evaluating linux while i continue with what i am familiar with ... win2k)

PartitionMagic says to be sure to have sp2 "or greater" downloaded and installed before begining. I have never used a service pack (don't laugh) and just went searching on them to learn about them. I found lots of +'s and -'s on sp4 and therefore was wondering if someone could advise me. I want to network 5 pc's and eventually have a website on a server thru a dsl connection, but I am just beginning with all this. Any advice, comments, or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS. Maybe someone who manages more than one partition on their PCs might be able to tell me if PartitionMagic is even how I should be most efficiently doing this.

Install SP4, or wait for SP5 which will be out in the near future. SP4 was relatively benign in that it didn't cause any major issues (depending upon your definition of "major").

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

It kind of depends on some of your apps though. My boss won't allow service pack 4 on the machines at work because when he tested it, there were some issues with some of the programs.

I use service pack 4 at home and never had a problem.

As long as you archive so you can easily roll back go with the latest and greatest.

Partition Magic is probably as good a tool for partition management as you'll find (at reasonable price) - Acronis Partition Expert is another.

One thing - back up anything you can't afford to lose before using PM. Its a good app, but resizing partitions can always go wrong. Also, it may paossibly corrupt your 2k boot sector - so make sure you know how to cope with this (can recreate using fixboot command from recovery console - can create a floppy which will boot installation - copy files ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini from root of C: to formatted floppy).

Once you've shrunk 2k partition to make room for Linux, just install Linux in the new space & allow it to set up dual boot with windows (grub or lilo boot manager usually)

PS. I've had no problems with SP4.

I'm dual booting with Win2k and Gentoo Linux. If you're a little wary about moving partitions (and backing up is always a good idea anyway), do you think you can install a second hard drive and load that with your Linux stuff?

There's just a difference in setting up your boot loader, but it's working now for me. And if you do this, may I suggest using GRUB as your boot loader, as I found it's easier to get the two systems, on two separate disks, working properly.

J.R.

Hi,

I used Partition Magic 7 once. That was enough for me. I lost a partition - just magicked it away. :eek:) Who do they employ to produce that stuff. Maybe PM 8 is better.

Just how many people do back up everything when they make a 'significant change' ? And if they do, just how do they do it? And where do they get the time from? And what backup media do they use.

I would dearly like to but I never do because it just takes too long to backup, say, 100 used Gb of a 160 Gb system.

Call me foolish if you will :eek:) I can see the replies now.. :eek:)

John

John, I feel you pain. *Foolish* Just kidding.

I have file server with about 200 something GB on it and if it goes, I only have myself to blame. But luckily most of it are mp3's that I burned instead of going through hundreds of CDs.

Anyway, with my dual boot option I mentioned earlier, this way the Windows partition never gets touched, and you have a whole hard drive to install an reinstall becuase, let's face it, most people who start linux to learn it are going to reinstall a few times.

I've use PM8 on a laptop with an XP home image and then Gentoo again, no problems, but I was starting fresh, so now worries if it didn't work.

J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back