Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP2 with 100% CPU and No Disks Visible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
Hi all,

I have an SP2 (Pentium 4 1.6Ghz) that on startup has 100% cpu usage and in Explorer can not "see" any devises in My Computer.

The process using the 100% is "svchost.exe" and there are 6 entries for that exe in task manager. Each one has different memory usage. Only one is using 100% cpu.

If I "End Process" the svchost.exe using the 100%, all is fine, with the cpu usage going back to zero.

Also in explorer (or My Computer) no devices (FDD, HDD or CD) are shown, explorer just searches showing only the "moving torch". However, a DIR command shows the C: drive and inserting a CD with display the directory structure.

I have checked for viruses, ran spybot and ad-aware with the lastest updates - nothing found.

I have searched this site and many others - no joy.

I did find a pointer (regarding the invisible drives) on winguides.com that suggested checking the registry entry "NoViewOnDrive" but that entry does not exist in this system. I also tried the UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries (see MSKB 314060) but those entries don't exist either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Thank you both, problem solved.

The solution was the WIA service as detailed in KB819017. Once I disabled the WIA service, the 100% cpu was no more and the drives are now visible.

Thanks again, a star to you both.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back