Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP2 - Access Denied on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Sup guys.. got a new one here that i haven't seen anywhere else.

Installing XP SP2 and it extracts, copys and begins installing..... about 3 seconds before it gets done it says "access denied" (that's it) and it looks like it's stoping on file hpcljrr.dll

It is part of a domain. We've broke it from the domain and rejoined thinking it was a domain security issue. Didn't help. tried it just locally while not part of the domain. no go.

we're out of ideas.

But! We do have ETrust 7.0 on there and M$ does have this KB 870901 but, we followed those instructions and it still won't go.

snoots

I am not certain why this error message gets thrown. What you are likely to find after a reboot is that SP2 was in fact installed.

Rerun SP2 install if you want to, and turn on all the extra logging options to help you track the problem.

834647 - "Service Pack installation did not complete" error message when you try to install a Windows 2000 service pack

243996 - How to Enable Verbose Logging in Windows 2000 GUI-Mode Setup

Windows Setup and Device Installation Logging

Those are all links for 2000, thread is XP. I am getting the same error on one machine, anyone found anything real yet?

rdroske,

Microsoft do not always bother reproducing an article for XP if there is a suitable similar 2000 version available. Both operating systems are based on the NT Kernel and even older NT articles are sometimes useful in providing clues and solutions.

I do agree with your sentiments and advise exporting any registry keys before making changes.

It is becoming apparent that a successful install of SP2 is dependant on the original Windows installation being in a pristine condition with no tweaks or alterations to the basic system which may prevent SP2 installing.

Well apparently they "reproduced" this one

See

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 873148

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2

At

Didn't help me though, was not able to change permissions or take ownership of the key in question.

Not going to bother with it any more myself, doing a "Repair" reinstall.

Don't know what sentiments you mean. I said nothing about any registry keys in previous post.

Thanks for the updated link. I didn't mean to misinterpret your thoughts, sorry for that.

If you are considering a repair installation several people have had success by first slipstreaming SP2 with the XP CD and running the repair with the slipstreamed CD and getting SP2 in that way.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /areas REGKEYS worked for me....

The MS KB article discussed above is no longer available. It said:

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2
View products that this article applies to.
Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may experience the following issues:
You cannot install the service pack.
You receive the following error message:

Service Pack setup has failed. Access Denied
The Setupapi.log file contains references that indicate that one or more registry keys could not be deleted while the Setup program was running.
CAUSE
These issues may occur when permissions on one or more registry keys are restricted in a way that prevents the administrator who installs the update from updating the registry keys. Failure to update a registry key causes the Setup program to fail.
WORKAROUND
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.To work around this issue, examine the Svcpack.log file to find the registry keys that are causing this issue, and then modify the registry permissions to give access to the user who is trying to install the service pack. To do this, follow these steps:
Make sure that the user who is trying to install the service pack is a member of the Administrators security group.
Open the Svcpack.log file. By default, this file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
Search the log file for references to registry permissions issues. Make a note of the registry keys that are referenced.
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
Locate and right-click the registry keys that you noted in step 3 of this procedure, and then click Permissions.
Examine the permissions that are configured for each user or group. Identify the restricted permissions that are affecting the user who is trying to install the service pack. Make sure the Administrators group has full access configured.
Quit Registry Editor.
After you follow these steps, try again to install the service pack.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Last Reviewed: 8/26/2004 (2.1)

Personally I've found that if the machine is in this situation it is time to rebuild anyways. If there are files on it that you didn't back up before applying the service pack just do a parallel install of XP into a different directory, get them, then wipe everything out and rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back