Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sp1 won't install for Office XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy47

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
US
I was having problems with Office 2000 (now sorted out) before it was - I installed Office XP Pro - got it activated\registered by calling MS okay - but when I went to windows update it won't do the SP1 - says it can't find C;\Config.Msi\PT9FE.tmp
This is one Xmas gift I'm not so pleased with right now :-(

Hmmmm....tried cleaning out all the temp directories/IE cache whatever before the download?
Tried downloading, then installing the Service Pack?
For sure, back up the system and create a Set Point to restore BEFORE installing...as a hedge against any diffugalties (some ppl have nightmarish results!).
MS also sells SP1 on disc, I believe, but my last suggestion of downloading then installing may work for you.

Hmmm not sure if I had cleaned out the temp before or after installing office xp pro. I know I cleaned it out again afterwards.
Just tried installing again - this time it said Error 1328 can't find PTA6.tmp
Thanks

I did check that error 1328 - and all the information it gave me. Checked the product numbers etc and all are correct....better be or the stores getting it back!!
This site you gave is - well - whew - not sure it's worth all this. This is confusing to say the least :-(
I'll try and look through it all :-(
Wish there was an easier answer for this. I right at ready to uninstall it - I hated seeing all the updates it needs already.
Thanks

Tried to warn you "It's extensive"!
Try looking at the article as relates to the error message you're getting...and go from there.
A car dealer I know always says,
"pay me now, pay me later".
Sorta' the way it is when sorting out snarls like this one...either roll up your sleeves and sort it out now, or do it later. LOL

For sure, though, an uninstall would solve the problem
by simply avoiding it!

Thanks - I looked through there - and really couldn't find anything that helped :-(
Each time I try and do the update - it gives me the error 1328 and different PT etc files it can't find. I think it's possessed :-(

It's a home enviroment - I looked at this lpage earlier - BUT - thank you so much for trying to help.
Now I'm beating my head on the desk - wonder what's next :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back