Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sp1 did not fix slow network

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
My network file transfer's are very slow. I've clean installed Vista Ult32 on my pc updated all drivers and vista sp1. Setup network (wired) to transfer file's to my HTPC...also running vista ult32 all updated (sp1). I'm using only vista firewall and AVGFree 8. Disabled both of these feature's to verify they weren't the issue.

Both pc's are set to private network under same workgroup name. Both pc's find each other and access shares very quickly. However. network is very slow, 1.1 mb/s when transfering. It takes over an hour to transfer a file that was mere minutes with my old XP Pro to my HTPC.

All other file transfers run smooth, ie: disk to disk or usb drive to disk and back. I have good transfer speeds 38 mb/s or higher, just the network is a dog.

Checked the web to find solution but nothing worked, ie:

...to name a couple. Other sites suggesting turning off/disabling windows features. One site suggested I replace the tcp file in systems32/drivers but this only broke vista and required my install disk to repair...actually I have had to use this a couple times to repair vista...very fragile, but I digress!

Nothing found on the net has helped so far so I now turn to here as my favorite source for help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

What's showing in the Event Viewer?

Have you looked at the auto-tuning-feature?

vista copies files slow
thread1583-1498041

Vista Auto-Tuning

High Rate of Collisions on 100-Megabit Networks

Windows Vista Hardware Assessment

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

How is the cabling between machines? Can you experiment with different Network Cards? What is the speed transfer rating of the cards? Driver updates or rollbacks? Are there any unused Network Adapters that you can disable?

Is it any faster from "Safe Mode with Networking"?

Are your network cards' speed & duplex set to autosense? Try selecting a (matched) fixed speed & duplex at both ends

Both pc's
eh, OS? Vista to Vista should be good to go, XP to Vista (can have problems)... need more info here, e.g. NIC's used, OS used, etc...

other suggestions: disable IPv6, outside of a few websites, no one uses it yet... Home Network should be turned off always...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Thanks all for the responses.

linney:

I checked the event viewer but no problems were reported.
I did some further searching at MS and found a hot fix that addresses my issues. I installed (late last night)and did a disk to disk transfer and was wowed by the rate 87 mb/s +. Much faster than my previous tests. Haven't had a chance to test network and will report back my finding's.

Thanks for the other info. Good read!

And no, there was no difference in safe mode with networking!

strongm:

I read about and tried the network cards setting's earlier, no joy.

BigBadBen:

I found the opposite, XP to Vista, good. Vista to Vista bad! Both nic's are onboard 10/100/1000 through Linksys router WRT54G (wireless disabled) 10/100. This is the same setup I used with the XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ult without issue. As for the other setting's I'm still learning Vista and will have to read more before attempting further setting changes, if needed...thx.

But as I said I downloaded a hoxfix from MS that is supposed to fix my issue and will report back ASAP.

Cheers

But I couldn't get the file directly from MS...well in a way. I had to provide an e-mail address and they sent me the link and a password for the zip file. All these precautions were because the hotfix isn't officially supported yet. If you use this hotfix on a machine that dosn't have the problem it can corrupt you windows installation...well that's the gist of what they said!

So if you do get it make sure you have a working backup image of you system first. My install went without a hitch but in my logs it stated that this fix wasn't required but installed anyways.

Update:

After installing the hotfix I tried to access my shares on the HTPC (Vista Ult 32 SP1) and discovered a problem with it's NIC (onboard ASUS M2A-VM, Realtek giga-lan) go figure! I've downloaded updates for the LAN and BIOS to fix the problem but can't get to it until later.

Will update again once I get this new problem fixed.

Cheers

It sounded like a hardware issue to me; either a bad network cable or a network card issue.

The fact that it's a gigabit network card and the WRT54g is not a gig switch, it could be that the gig network card is constantly trying to re-negotiate.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back