Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP1 DCOM 10016 Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rperissi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2005
US
I installed Sp1 on a 2003 test box, and now have this recurring dcom error.. checked eventid and newsgroups.. tried pretty much everything out there w/ no luck.

Has anyone seen this..? The CLSID is "netman" in component services... changed to default security, and added local NT AUTHORITY also..

Also added local admins and domain admins to the new "Distributed COM Users" local group..as was suggested in one thread... no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rob

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 4/13/2005
Time: 4:05:12 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: REP01
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I'm getting the same Error events on two of my Win2K3 boxes with SP1 installed.

Just found this new post on eventid.net - FINALLY solved the problem.. turns out NETWORK SERVICE needed to be added with remote launch and remote activation permissions.

Rob

>
I've run across the same issues...

Take for instance, the following error message:

--------------------------

Event Type: Error

Event Source: DCOM

Event Category: None

Event ID: 10016

Date: 4/3/2005

Time: 1:04:48 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Computer: S38916

Description:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security
permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

--------------------------

The COM Server application with CLSID has to be tracked down in the
registry, in this case the following reg key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

In this key you can acquire the AppID, in this case the following AppID:

{27AF75ED-20D9-11D1-B1CE-00805FC1270E}

The AppID has to be tracked down in the registry, in this case the following
reg key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{27AF75ED-20D9-11D1-B1CE-00805FC1270E}

In this key you can acquire the LocalService name, in the case the following
name:

Netman

The LocalService has to be tracked down in the Component Services MMC; in
this case Netman is listed within the DCOM Config section.

Browse to the Security Tab, edit the Launch and Activation Permissions, and
make necessary changes. In the case, NETWORK SERVICE needed to be added with
Remote Launch and Remote Activation permissions.

"CBuse" wrote:

> Sorry this was after installing SP1 in 2003 server
>
> "CBuse" wrote:
>
> > After installing windows 2003 server a hand full of services won't start.
> > It's all relating to the COM + System service not starting. Does anyone have
> > any ideas how to get this resolved. COM + Service says its starting and stays
> > there.

I too have this issue on 2 servers setting in my DMZ (smtp gateway and a webserver). I've seen the fixes listed (thanks for that info) but I was concerned about allowing the NETWORK SERVICE remote launch and activation permissions. My inclination is to ignore the errors on these machines. Does anyone (with maybe a better understanding than me of the consequences) have a suggestion? In other words, what are the risks if everything seems to be working ok. Again, these machines are in a DMZ not internal. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Empmark, I was wondering if you decided to "allow" after all? Or did you find another solution?

the thing that is weird for my system - is that these are popping up at regular 15 minute intervals. I wish I knew for sure who/what was triggering them.

Hi all! When you say add NETWORK SERVICE to the permissions on NETMAN under Remote Launch and Remote Activation, do you mean add the accounts NETWORK and SERVICE separately? Because I don't have a NETWORK SERVICE account when I click on Add. I have added both NETWORK and SERVICE separately, and I'm still getting the DCOM errors. Please advise exactly what you mean.

Never mind, all! It took a few minutes after adding BOTH Network & Service accounts, and the DCOM errors cleared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back