Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP to append data from different SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinbell

Technical User
Jul 15, 2004
GB
Hi

I've got one SQL server (staging server) with a Database called Internet and a table called membership
I've got another SQL server (live server) with the same Database and table.
The live server will have the up-to-date data although at times I will need to modify/append the staging server data.
Is there a stored procedure example that will import the up-to-date data from the live server table Membership to the staging server table Memebership ? I could then run that before I amend any data within the staging server before posting back

any help appreciated
regards
kevin

One way would be to create LINKED SERVERS and then run an INSERT to copy the data from the one server to the other.

Another way might be to use transactional replication.

Refer to the BOL for more information.

-SQLBill

BOL=Books OnLine=Microsoft SQL Server's HELP
Installed as part of the Client Tools
Found at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

thanks SQLBill

on another issue - I've used a DTS to create a copy SQL Server objects task for sending objects/data from my staging to live server where it will only ever be that one way. Its created a rowGUID column ? I don't want that - I've already got my own identity column setup
is there a way to tell the DTS not to create it ?

regards

I don't use DTS so can't help you there. If you haven't checked out DTS in the BOL, I suggest you do that.

-SQLBill

BOL=Books OnLine=Microsoft SQL Server's HELP
Installed as part of the Client Tools
Found at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back