Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP nodes related to a CWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelvv

MIS
Jan 17, 2003
US
How can I tell what nodes a controlled by a CWS? I have three user accounts with weak passwords (db2fenc1, db2as and db2inst1) that nobody knows what they are for. They appear to be DB2 related, but we are an Oracle shop. I'd like to get rid of them if possible.

Happy Holidays

They are for DB2, but how does that relate to SP nodes?

Run spmon -d from the CWS and you will see all nodes.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have to connect to all the nodes and make sure no DB2 software is used, then I can delete the user.

You can run from the CWS:

dsh lslpp -L | grep -i db2

and not have to log into each node. This will show if the DB2 software is installed. The db2as is the administrative server instance and the db2fenc1 and db2inst1 are standard instances which were created when the software was installed.

Unfortunately I no longer work at a DB2 place, (ahem, now Oracle), so I cannot lookup the correct file names, but look for db2diag.log and/or db2dump to check if the instances are used. The software may be installed but that won't tell you if it is used. Also run a ps -ef and check for existing processes.

Had 4.5 years on DB2 on an SP2 and now am working on an SP2 system but no DB2 [sad] . The SP is great to work on, but I like the Regatta's and 1600 clusters more [smile] .

Yes those users are the results of a complete DB2 installation.
Before to destroy something get a look to the home directories of those users, just to see if someone uses some files in them.
The files mentioned by crypto are under a subdirectory in the home directory of db2inst1 (in your case)

This issue has come back to haunt me! Corporate security complained about these accounts because they have 'crackable' passwords, but only for the CWS (apparently they don't care about the node they run on). I thought that all I had to do is comment out the entry 10 * * * * /var/sysman/supper update sup.admin user.admin node.root in crontab, then I could delete the accounts from CWS. Somehow (and I wish I knew how) /etc/password got replicated anyway, and WebSphere failed. It also fails if I change the passwords to something secure. Any ideas?

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back