Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOX and user logins

Status
Not open for further replies.

beleyrs

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2004
US
Two questions, any insight would be great.

We have GP 8.0

Remembering Last Userid
When you log into Great Plains (on terminal server), the dex.ini file remembers the last person who logged in and populates the user name field with that user id. this is in direct violation of our SOX audits. Is there a way to prevent GP from remembering this information?

Invalid User Logins
I know you can track logins of valid user in the activity tracking module or by looking in SY05000. However, I'd to know if htere is a log of when a person tries to log in with an invalid user id. Are these attempted logins tracked anywhere?

Thanks!!

I think omni password had something like that.

You might want to try erasing the last userid field in the dex.ini and then making the file read only.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Thanks Jaz. I have been looking into Omni Tools and have contacted our re-seller about pricing.

I have also considered the dex.ini change which is free. However, it also adds more management to code deploys and the like.

i have not yet seen a tool that will track invalid logins to GP, so if anyone out there knows of anything, please advise...

I have also come across another 3rd party tool for password strengthening:

Ethotech - Enhanced Password Security

Anyone have any experience with that?

Omni Login can be asked to forget the last user and last company. Omni Tools will remember the last company automatically once installed.

Omni Password will provide password policy and expiry as well as inactivity timeout and system maintenance lockout.

Disclaimer: I wrote Omni Tools when I previously worked for Winthrop Dexterity Consultants (
David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back