Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sources in Data Validation - Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigpom1

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
AU
I am in the process of learning about Data Validation in Excel and all is going well except that I cannot figure out what information is placed in the SOURCES box in the Data Validation Applet.I dont seem to be able to get the table to knock back invalid data. Help Please.....Dave

Morning BigPom

Here goes:

Data | Validation (Input Message)

"Show Input Message When Cell Is Selected"
This will show the below message when a user inserts the cursor (selects) the cell in question

"Title"
What you want the title bar of the message dialogue to display

"Input Message"
Message To User

e.g.

Title = Sample
Input Message = Put Some Text In Here

would result in the following dialogue box being presented when a user selects that particular cell:

Sample

Put Some Text In Here

Hope that helps some [colorface]

----------------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum [jester2]
----------------------------

Under the "allow" if you chose list you can refer to a list from which the user can select a value, values entered which are not in the list would be rejected with the message you have put in your error box.

If you want the list to be a named range, this is really the best method, put ="rangename" in the source box where "rangename" is the name you have given the range.

You can also cascade validation where the choices in a cell are dependant on choices you made in another cell. If you need to do this I can explain.

Regards

Keith

Thank you KLMorgan. I had actually typed a list in column "H" and I entered the range of cells in Source and my dropdown list worked fine. It was a lucky guess......Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back