Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sounds fails in XP after working for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanfield

MIS
Aug 13, 2002
US
I'm having a problem with XP that I can't seem to figure out. I've scoured Microsoft's site and can't find anything there. You all are my last chance at using XP before I go back to 2000.

When I install XP (fresh install after formatting the drive) everything seems to work fine. I can use the manufacturers sound drivers or Microsoft's and will hear sound either way. After installing either of the drivers I can reboot a couple of times and the sound is fine. When I shut the machine down for the evening and turn it on the next day, I get no sound.

I think that a setting has changed, but I can no longer get to it to reset it. If you open the volume control for Windows you should be able to click on options>advanced controls. Then the advanced button will show up and if clicked there is a setting to remove a check for only using digital speakers or something like that. My problem is once I choose to show the advanced controls, I don't get the advanced button for the main volume. I get the button for other things like the line in and a couple of others. I know that if I reinstall XP when everything is working fine, this option is there. The option is no longer there when I boot my machine the next day and the sound is no longer working. I've reinstalled about four times and the same thing happens everytime. (I am using the Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 with the Live Drive Bay which I use to hook up misc. studio equip. to, but have yet to do so until the speakers are working normally)

Has anybody ever seen this before? Did I explain the problem well enough? If not, let me know and I will try again.

Thanks in advance for your time.

SFH

I've heard of several people having this problem....

Anyone here have a suggestion?? Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

Here is the answer that worked for me should anyone ever need it.

"Click on the little speaker icon..... once its open go to 'file' then 'properties' and choose the soundcard you're using.... you should then have all the options on it and be able to use all of your soundcard inputs and what not. Look in there and set everything the way you want it.

Then go into your control panel and make sure all your sound options are set to your SB card and all should be fine."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back