Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soundblaster Audigy 2 supports digital audio but?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertechs

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and it supports digital audio output but I am clueless as to what speakers I could buy that would support this feature? Right now I have and 5 piece set from Altec Lasnsing system which is of course analog and I have the digital feature turned off and the analog wire hooked up....

Any ideas for an upgrade? Thanks for any responses

Ok i'll say it like this, when I tried to and hook up the digital wire and enable digital sound in the soundblaster menu all I get is hiss...

So what I did is hooked up the analog wire and turned the digital function off, I assumed it was the speakers that failing me, is that not the case?

For the digital output are you referring to the Optical Connection ?

This is usually used for devices such as MP3/Minidisk recorders.

Grenage is right, an "optical out" is also known as digital out, if it helps it normally looks like a black squareish socket, it normally has a plug that closes what looks like an output jack

Optical Output is to an external audio device such as a stereo receiver. This is so you could listen to Dolby 5.1 through your house speakers and watch DVD on the PC. Or if you have Video out on your Video card, watch it on your TV.

Which seems like a lot of work just to watch a DVD.

JON

Eh, for true digital, just go out and get a reciever and speakers. I've yet to find any computer system that'll give true digital performance quality like my home theatre system. Much less headaches too. :-D

I will say this with 100% certainty that the this sound card seems to be truly more advanced than any computer speaker system I have seen on the market, which is why I think I am having trouble. My current speaker system just doesn't seem to be up to the task to deliver the sound that I know this card can deliever.

So does anyone have any recommendations for PC Computer Speakers? Thankyou to all for your posts, they are most helpful...

Most of the creative speaker packages are nice, and the higher end Altec Lansings are nice as well.

Anyone tried these look at link above?

Thanks let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back