Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soundblaster 24 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLazarus

Technical User
Oct 26, 2005
US
I downloaded the new driver from Windows Update. When I used Procomm Plus, while the Modem tone handshake was in progress, I got the Black Screen that said my computer had been shut down to prevent hardware damage. Was able to restore to a previous point and all worked. (XP Pro) Anyone else? I tried calling anyone who might care. That is a joke.

I think every one of us has had that happen in the past...and now you also know to steer clear of Windows Update's Hardware section. Sometimes a new driver brings new functionality, but if I really feel I need a new driver, I head to the manufacturer's site and download the update from there. I always feel better manually applying new drivers, then I know where they live for future use.

Most of the time I don't bother, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

As a rule (mine) only Critical Updates are applied.

Tony

Thanks. I will follow that advice. But, what do you use as a clue that a new driver might be needed?

old rule of thumb, if it isnt broken, dont fix it. Otherwords if you are having no problems with the current driver, do not update.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

if u want to update drivers go to the web sites that u require, u can tell if new 1s are out or not by the dates etc..

But, what do you use as a clue that a new driver might be needed?

Good question. It depends on the component. In a soundcard, it may be new codecs or support for a new platform. In GFX cards, it may be better functionality as the chip development matures. In a mainboard BIOS, it may be 64-bit support or more stability. The website you are downloading the driver from should tell you the differences in the new version. If you buy a brand-spanking-new component it will probably benefit from a driver update as the tech matures; same is true for routers and their firmware.

Of course, if you are having trouble with a component an updated driver is the first thing to try. If a soundcard is crackling or a GFX card is wonky update away. Just not from Windows' site.

As an example, I have a server with a 3ware 9500s RAID card running a RAID5 array. Windows Update tells me there is a new driver available. This array has operated flawlessly for two years, why would I want to update the driver? The one I have is working perfectly.

So, you update to add functionality or repair bugs. Just check with the manufacturer and get THEIR version, and set a restore point in case of problems.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back