Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugil

Programmer
Apr 28, 2000
US
I have a sound blaster PCI512 and I am trying (in vain?) to get my sound to work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have slackware 7.0, kernel 2.2.13.&nbsp;&nbsp;I cat'd /proc/pci and got an I/O range, but isapnp finds nothing.&nbsp;&nbsp;(is that because it's ISApnp?)<br><br>any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.<br>thanx <p> <br><a href=mailto:ille_pugil42@hotmail.com>ille_pugil42@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Page</a><br>Linux rox! Get with the program and ditch the RGBY Virus!

Sound support is still a problem. I am not sure of the chipset in the PCI512. If it is a newer chipset it is probably not supported. <br><br>When you recompiled the kernel, was the PCI512 mentioned or did you use the generic SoundBlaster module? As far as I know, the SoundBlaster module only for the old 16bit cards.<br><br>Better sound support should be available on the 2.4 kernel. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

Mmm.&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (and alsa.org) is the URL for the ALS Association.&nbsp;&nbsp;ALS is&nbsp;&nbsp;Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gerig Disease?).&nbsp;&nbsp;And <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> is for sale.&nbsp;&nbsp;I see reports that OSS works and that most (not all) Sound Blasters work better with Linux than most other sound cards.&nbsp;&nbsp;The OSS package that came with SuSE Linux 6.2 wouldn't install for me, complaining of termcap problems, which are mentioned in the HOWTO.&nbsp;&nbsp;Fixed that to no avail.&nbsp;&nbsp;Compiled 2.2.14 kernel (SuSE 6.2 comes with 2.2.10) with sound modules - better, but still no cigar.&nbsp;&nbsp;My own problem is that I have a Yamaha OPL3-SA3, which came with the box. <p>Octalman<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back