Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airpan

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
US
I recently updated my machine and downloaded the latest updates from microsoft. Since then, I have been unable to get ANY sound from my computer. I have seen some threads regarding the error I was getting which relates to the C-Media AC97 Sound driver. I use Winamp and it was working great before I updated and when I went to use it after updating it gave me an error (unfortunately I do not have it written down).

I would like to ID my motherboard and download the correct sound card drivers but I am unsure how to id the MB. I have seen downloadable programs to do it and I have seen people suggest where the sticker on the MB might be, and I have seen some people suggest going into the BIOS. I know that my processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.5 GHz. I just can't seem to locate the darn MB info. Any suggestions would be welcome. By the way, I have also determined that it is a driver issue and know that the soundcard is on board (not seperate).

Thanks.

I would first try Belarc Advisor to id your motherboard.

I gave up on Microshafts AC-97 drivers years ago. Just dig out the original installation CD for your motherboard, and reinstall the original drivers.

Or use XP's driver rollback facility?

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

This sounds like an issue I had with mine. But mine wasn't the sound card it was the PNP Enumerator drivers that were hosed. If the drivers show that the sound card is working try this:

copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to a temp dir
remove line 20: ExcludeFromSelect=*

add new hardware have disk (select the temp dir with the modified machine.inf) and
install the plug and play software enumerator

swenum.sys is found in system32\drivers
streamci.dll is found in system32
or they can be found on your windows disk

it worked for mine!

Thanks for the ideas - will give each of them a try and see what if anything happens. Sorry it took so long to post back- I am a new mom and haven't had a chance to check email in awhile.

Happy New Year.

Ok, I found the audio drivers for my mobo:
Gigabyte Technology - GA-7VAX 1.x by going to this link and clicking on the top one listed for their drivers:

I then chose the Audio drivers from the next page that came up, and chose to download from America.

If I install it from the setup icon that I clicked on, it then puts this AvRack icon on my desktop. When I go to the Device Manager and look at Audio devices there is no longer an exclamation point/error sign next to the C-Media AC97 Audio Device. However, still no sound in my speakers.

When I uninstalled the drivers, and then went through the Control Panel to the System icon, then went to Audio and Right clicked on Properties... tried to update driver and it gives me the following error:
There was a problem installing this hardware. Device cannot start. (Code 10).

I tried to do what MonkeyX suggested but got lost a little bit with the directions... not to mention, didn't feel particulary good about messing with system files. Despite the above, I did try removing line 20 after I copied the machine.inf file to a temp directory... tried getting the device to work from there and it I am not getting any volume in my speakers, which I tested and they work on another PC.

Any thing else anyone can think of? Is my MOBO bad? Any help is appreciated.

~Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back