Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound on Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggrabbit

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
BE
I have set up a system using Remote Desktop.
When I connect a microphone to the host, I can hear or record the sound on the host, but using remote desktop, I can't hear the sound on the remote desktop, and that's what I want: I want to play the sound recorded by a microphone attached to the host on the remote system (live).
When I play sounds like system-beeps, or wav-files on the host, I CAN hear them on the remote system, but NOT the sound of the mike...

Does the microphone use a program to 'play' the sounds going into the microphone? When you RDP, you can hit options and then programs and enter the path, to see if that may help.

No, the microphone is used as input to the sound card. On the control panel you can swith it on/off and eventually mute. When mute is off, I can hear the sound recorded by the microphone through the speakers/headphone.
Using Remote Desktop, you can choose to play sounds on the host or on the remote system. When I choose "remote", I can hear all sounds there but the microphone...

@elmurado: Any suggestions about the program to play the sound of the microphone?

I think it may be driver thing--what if the other sounds use the RDP audio driver(I believe one gets loaded that plays the sounds) whilst the mike uses the physical sound card?

Found this on anotrher site: Are you using XP -XP rdp? Not sure if this applies then.
"Basically you want three things configured.

One: make sure you are redirecting audio to your local machine in the Client. Under options etc.....

Two: In terminal services configuration, under properties for RDP-tcp, go to Client settings and make sure the Audio Redirection option is checked.

Three, and this was the killer for me to find: Go in to your group policies and drill down to the terminal services, I can find the link. There is an audio redirection setting which is at default. Once I changed that to allowed, everything worked.

Hope that helps.

Honer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back